Mechanical Design Engineer
YASA are looking for a highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineer with a demonstrated ability for design and development in a fast-paced environment. Looking for that next step in career progression, you will be keen to grow knowledge and experience that can only be gained from a small company.
You must have a sound knowledge of engineering principles and materials, and an ability to apply your experience creatively in the development of world leading innovative products. Working to a range of industry standards for quality and validation, you will be capable of providing solutions backed up with a robust methodology that will keep YASA Motors at the forefront of electric motor technology in the years ahead.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Developing ideas and design solutions to practical challenges arising from new product design
- Detail and design of 3d and 2d CAD models and drawings using best practice geometric tolerances, key characteristics and drawing standards. Working within a drawing control PDM system
- Understand design for assembly and constraints for high volume manufacture
- Perform material selection and mechanical FEA analysis on components and assemblies
- Provide detail input to the team to ensure overall design meets requirements for functionality and manufacture
- Support development of manufacturing processes and novel designs for new technology applications and materials
- Support DFMEAs and complete actions required to mitigate risks
- Support new business opportunities with information and guidance on use, packaging and application of YASA motors
- Liaise with key suppliers and customers on design and development issues, resolve to the optimal solution and understand the compromises.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Degree or equivalent in mechanical engineering with at least 2 years’ experience in a design and development environment
- Strong experience of Solidworks CAD software package with the ability to create design concepts and fully dimensioned drawings working to BS8888 with best practice geometric tolerances and key characteristics
- The ability to undertake and interpret mechanical FEA studies and propose solutions / improvements to design issues
- Experience with drawing control systems such as PDM
- Strong mechanical or electrical engineering background, but more importantly, be able to apply knowledge to real world situations
- A flexible approach to work, desire to thrive in a dynamic and exciting fast-moving environment
- Creative problem solver with an analytical approach to implementation
- Familiar with FMEAs and robust engineering practices
- Good understanding of materials and associated mechanical properties and processing
- Confident with customers and suppliers, able to detail requirements and understand issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- UK driving licence and be available to support visits to customer sites.
- 25 days' holiday
- On-site gym
- Private medical plan
- 4 x death in service
- Flexible working hours
- Social activities
- Share scheme
To apply, please complete the short form below and attach your CV and a covering letter.
Your application will be processed personally and confidentially by YASA's internal recruitment team.
No recruitment agencies please.
YASA is an equal opportunities employer.