Controller and Systems Application and Technical Support Engineer
An exciting, new opportunity has arisen for an Application and Technical Support Engineer to join our Oxford-based team to provide controller (motor control inverter) application support, training and testing coordination for internal and external projects. You will be responsible for providing a two-way interface between engineering customers and the Controller Engineering teams, as well as supporting the Commercial Team during customer application discussions.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Part of a team providing high quality technical support to customers (including occasional off-site support) and to internal development/validation groups, including:
- Both motor and controller/inverter related issues ranging from system setup guidance (mechanical, electrical, control) to in-depth troubleshooting and motor and controller system optimisation;
- Technical documentation creation and maintenance;
- Controller functionally configuration, test and validation;
- Dyno design support, commissioning and test result analysis;
- Support returns root cause analysis.
- Work alongside preferred 3rd party controller suppliers (e.g. Sevcon, Rinehart) to optimise the performance and capability of the motor and controller system
- Part of a team bringing customer and application insights to the specification of YASA’s controllers and power systems
- Interface between mechanical, electrical and software teams in the development of motor controllers
- Support, as part of the team, the execution of the functional safety processes
- Support the specification IO and communication protocols
- Coordination of engineering information requests and support the generation of FAQ.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A self-starter with energy and enthusiasm who can thrive in a small business environment
- 5+ years’ experience of working in a relevant technical industry
- Recognised qualification in a relevant discipline
- Demonstrated track record of engineering ability in motor control power electronics field
- Experienced in interfacing with customers technically including commissioning and on-site fault finding, able to understand and clearly communicate issues, set/manage expectations and build a strong and lasting professional relationship centred on customer care
- Knowledge of automotive communication protocols
- Knowledge of LabVIEW or equivalent systems
- Knowledge of MATLAB/Simulink
- Instinctive problem-solving skills coupled with a sound analytical approach
- Ability to work under pressure while managing conflicting demands against tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, practiced in discussion and presentations
- Candidates must have UK driving license and ability to travel (including international).
- Experience of working within a Tier 1 environment
- Experience of automotive controllers (in particular Sevcon and Rinehart)
- Familiarity with typical test facility control and data capture/analysis hardware and software would be an advantage.
- 25 days' holiday
- On-site gym
- Private medical plan
- 4 x death in service
- Flexible working hours
- Social activities
- Share scheme
To apply, please complete the short form below and attach your CV and a covering letter.
Your application will be processed personally and confidentially by YASA's internal recruitment team.
No recruitment agencies please.
YASA is an equal opportunities employer.